Steps to obtain a motorcycle endorsement:

  1. You must hold at least a valid Class E driver
  2. Complete the Basic Rider Course (BRC) or Basic Rider Course updated (BRCu) motorcycle safety course with an authorized More information on courses and locations can be found at
  3. After successfully passing the Rider Course, you must obtain your endorsement within (1) year.
  4. Visit a driver license service center and inform them that you completed the course. Upon providing proper ID and paying the required endorsement fees, your license will be issued with a motorcycle endorsement.

Keeping the roadway safe for all users is the responsibility of both motorists and motorcyclists-everyone can do their  part.   

Information on courses and locations can be found at  We are ALL responsible for keeping our roads safe!   


When do I need a motorcycle endorsement?

If you wish to be licensed to ride any two- or three-wheel motor vehicles more than 50cc. FS 322.03(4) & 322.01(26) Getting Endorsed

What are the requirements to obtain a motorcycle endorsement?

Starting July 1 2008, new motorcyclists must take and pass the Basic Rider Course through the Florida Rider Trainer Program before they can have the motorcycle endorsement added to their license, per Section 322.12(5)(a), Florida Statutes.

  • Hold at least a Class E driver license or complete the requirements for a Class E driver

FS 322.12(5)(a) [Exception: no automobile driving test is required if applying for a Motorcycle Only

license. FS 322.12(5)(a)]

  • Complete a Florida Rider Training Program Motorcycle Rider Safety Course FS 15(5)(a)
  • Present the completion card to the driver license office and no additional testing is required. FS 12(5)(b)

Learn to Ride

What are the requirements for the Florida Rider Training Program basic Motorcycle Rider Safety Course?

  • You must be at least 15 ½ years old to enroll and you must hold at least a Learner’s Driver License to attend the basic motorcycle safety course. Courses are provided by certain educational institutions and/or privately-owned companies. A list of schools is on the website listed below; course length (classroom and on-cycle instruction) is about 18 hours including lunch/breaks. Schools provide motorcycles (helmets if available) and student workbooks. Some schools also offer the 8 hour Experienced Rider Course, which requires YOUR motorcycle, protective equipment and a valid driver license with motorcycle endorsement. (Fees vary by )

Know the Law

What are the driver licensing requirements for mopeds, scooters, and other two- or three-wheel motor vehicles?

  • If 50cc or less, these vehicles are not motorcycles by driver license definition [FS 322.01(25)], so a motorcycle endorsement is not needed per FS 322.03(4); however, to operate them on streets or highways:

o You must be at least 16 years old and hold at least a regular operator (Class E) or “Motorcycle Only” driver license (reason: even though these vehicles are 50 cc or less, they still fall under the driver license law definition of “Motor Vehicle,” and a driver license is required to operate a “motor vehicle”). FS 322.03(1), 322.01(26), and 322.05 (1)

Is there a motorized vehicle you can operate without a driver license?

Yes, if at least 16, you may ride a bicycle with an electric helper-motor that cannot go faster than 20 mph on level ground, per FS 322.03(1), 322.01(26), and 316.003(2). Florida Rider Training Program 850-487-1227

 What are the requirements for obtaining a Temporary “Instruction Permit” for motorcycle operation? FS 322.07(1)

Effective July 1, 2008, Florida will no longer issue Instructional Permits for motorcycle operation.

What does getting a “Motorcycle Only” driver license involve? Who can get one?

  • Be at least 16 and, if under 18 hold a learner’s license for one year with no traffic convictions. FS 322.05(1) and 05(2)(a)
  • Pass the same knowledge test as for a regular operator’s (Class E) driver license. FS 12(5)(a)
  • If at least 21, you may take the safety course or pass the motorcycle knowledge and skill
  • Your driver license will be restricted to operating “Motorcycles Only”. FS 12(5)(a)

Can I upgrade to a regular license later and have the “Motorcycle Only” restriction removed?

Yes, by passing the regular motor vehicle driving test in a regular four-wheel motor vehicle. FS 322.12(5)(a)

What if someone brings a three-wheel motorcycle or a sidecar motorcycle for his or her motorcycle skill test?

Applicant will be required to complete the sidecar/trike Motorcycle Safety Course.

Applicants completing the sidecar / trike course will be restricted to three-wheel motorcycles only.

Is a license required to operate mopeds, motorized scooters/skateboards, go-carts, or other small engine vehicles?

  • These vehicles are not designed for operation on public roads. If someone does so anyway, law enforcement officers can ask to see a valid driver license because these vehicles are “Motor Vehicles” under driver license law [FS 322.01(26)], and a driver license is required to operate any motor vehicle, per FS 322.03.

Are you required to wear a helmet and eye protection to ride motorcycles? How about mopeds and scooters?

  • Motorcycles: Those 21 and older can ride without a helmet if they carry proof of Personal Injury Protection or proof of health insurance, such as employee health insurance card. The coverage amount must be at least $10,000 to pay for treatment of injuries that may result from a motorcycle crash. Those under 21 operating motorcycles (or riding as a passenger) must wear a Department-approved motorcycle helmet without exception. FS 211(1)&(2)
  • Mopeds/Scooters: If a motor vehicle is 50 cc or less, two-brake horsepower or less, and cannot exceed more than 30 mph on level ground, no helmet is required for the operator, but they must be at least 16 years old and hold at least a regular operator license (Class E) or “Motorcycle Only” license. Any passenger under 16 must wear a
  • Eye Protection: All persons who operate motorcycle (50 cc or more) must wear eye
  • Eye Protection: Required if capable of more than 30 miles per

Is insurance required for motorcycles?

Under certain circumstances, Yes.  See below about your financial responsibility.

  • Insurance is not required to register motorcycles as with four-wheel motor vehicles [FS 627.733]; however, if a motorcycle operator is charged in a crash with injuries, the motorcycle owner or owner/operator is financially responsible for bodily injuries and property damage to others. If no liability coverage was in effect, then bodily injury/property damage liability insurance must be purchased and kept for three years to avoid Financial Responsibility (license and registration) suspension or to reinstate license and tag/registration after suspension. FS 324